- It is an account that may take the form of saving deposit that can be used for local payments only.
- The transferred balance will be exchanged to local currency and deposited to the account.
- A bank is allowed to set their own interest rate payment on non-repatriatable Birr accounts upon negotiation but not less than the minimum saving deposit rate set by the NBE.
- Withdrawals in foreign currency shall not be made from such accounts.
The following are eligible to use the Diaspora Account:
- Non-resident Ethiopian;
- Non-resident foreign nationals of Ethiopian origin;
- Companies owned by the above mentioned nonresidents and located outside the Ethiopian territory for more than one year;
- Ethiopian nationals living and working abroad or in due process of living abroad for work for more than one year and who can produce authenticated documents.